Hip Roof Leak & Roof Venting

Properly venting a hip roof.

Q.

I have a fairly new hip roof (four years) that has been water-sealed from top to bottom. It has soffit vents, a short ridge vent (as long as possible for the roof configuration), and two square (shoe box) vents, one on each side. In a windy rainstorm recently, I had water dripping from a ceiling upstairs. It appears that the rain entered one of the shoe box vents. The vents, flashing, and etc., all appear to be undamaged, properly installed and sealed. I’d have the box vents removed entirely, but then I wouldn’t have enough air circulation in the attic. Any suggestions?

A.

I know the ridge vent is short, but consider removing those box-like roof vents and let the ridge vent do the work. Also, make sure those soffit vents under the eaves overhang go to the full length of all four soffits and that the soffit vents are 2-inch wide-screened strips. The short ridge vent can work. I have no ridge vents in my hip roof and only one roof vent at the highest point on my roof, and I think this is adequate.

Comments